Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions?











Personally, I’m glad to see 2008 on its way out. Beyond the politics, Hurricane Ike, the financial meltdown and all war-related issues, we were diminished by the loss of two close associates and friends, Drew MacWilliam and Marjorie Arsht. Over the past several years, I’d spent more time with them than with anyone else I know, except my husband, so their loss created a considerable void at the center of my life.

In fact, looking forward to 2009, I find myself a little intimidated. We have no idea of the new challenges we will encounter and I feel a little panicky, just thinking about them.

So, instead, I try to focus on small things—like finding a way to make sweat pants attractive. Or getting my business and personal files in order. Maybe this will be the year those things happen.

And exercise! That’s a verb, not a noun—a distinction I keep fudging.

I hope to make more time for creative work. Short stories. Try to complete 10, maybe, that I’m not ashamed to show people. Is that too small a goal?

Of course, in a serious vein, I pray for my husband’s continued good health, and my own, and that of all our family and close associates and friends, including those who blog. And I hope to attain for myself an outlook that embraces optimism and serenity, and allows me to discover both of these in the midst of whatever else may be going on.

That latter goal is why, right now--on New Year’s Eve--I’m trying to look past the artificial marks of the calendar. Instead, I’m thinking of today, as just that—today, a sunlit Wednesday. Tomorrow is tomorrow, Thursday. And after that comes Friday and the weekend. (I love weekends.) Night falls, day blooms once more, winter offers its mild interludes, prophesying spring, and so on. These are the measures the earth provides, as it moves around the sun. Like the world, itself, they carry no lines or numbers or man-made demarcations.

See? Already, I’m feeling better.

6 comments:

aliceinparis said...

Hi there,
Happy New 2009 to you!
Here's to making sweatpants look great and enjoying each day as it comes!
Cheers, Shelagh

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

I'm feeling better, too! PJ

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hello and a Happy New Year to you. Thanks for visiting my blog - I am paying a return call and do like what I read - we sound like kindred spirits, so shall add you to blog list! I know what it is like to lose der friends - there is a void it is hard to fill. I am gently losing one at the moment -she is so brave and philosophical about it, it is very himbling.
We were in Houston in April - part of a tour we did taking in San Antonio, Dallas, Amarillo, Alberquerque, Flagstaff and Scottsdale - we went to the space centre. The weather was extremely humid - amazing for us, coming from such a hilly, cool part of the UK. Best wishes. Call again.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sorry about the two spelling mistakes - should of course read "dear friends" and "humbling" I am very bad at proof-reading.

Babette Fraser Hale said...

Dear Weaver, I knew the intended words...typos are always annoying to the writer, though, aren't they? The worst, however, is when one hits a mystery keystroke and erases half a line, unnoticed until later. I particularly hate doing that.

Peggy said...

Enjoyed your thoughts, Bdogs. I'm so sorry for your losses. Sometimes stuff happens so quickly that nothing in our life fits afterward. It's like we have to find a new center of gravity. I wish you a bright and hopeful 2009! :)