Saturday, January 10, 2009

Made sunshine

Today presents us with a transcendence of grey. Our view is grey, grey variegated sky, grey buildings. Through a brilliance of initial concept (mine), the walls of our flat are also grey. The French birds, paint on board, with a painted frame, offer mere punctuation.


So, looking outward, I strive to perceive the details within neutrality, the soft cottony rolls of light and darker clouds, the multiple shades presented by the blocky buildings of Greenway Plaza and along the West Loop.


Inside, however, there are few variations to perceive. The spirit wavers, and then to lift itself, it goes for sunshine into a painting I've had for years. It's by a Canadian artist, Darryl Hughto, who no longer paints, I hear. But it's a fine surprise of Southwestern sun on a grey day.
(detail)

7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Gosh! What a shock after all the grey - what a cheerful set of colours for a dismal day - no wonder you love it.

Sydney said...

I see why you went for it, it's colorful as a vase of flowers.

I confess I am enjoying the gray outside today (how FUN is it for me to finally be connected to someone in my own area, who is sharing the experience!). I miss the cold and snow this time of year, having grown up in Chicago -- where the winters are actually TOO brutal for my tastes -- and have spent much of my life where seasons are more dramatic than here. I will be as glad as anyone when spring rolls around, but for now, the gray makes me feel like it's actually cold outside and I am safe and warm inside.... and that fog on the horizon is flurries heading my way. :-)

Babette Fraser Hale said...

The full picture is round and named "Cowboy", and it has accompanied me to New Mexico, and back here again. In NM it looked entirely at home and much more subtle.

And Sydney, I know about that looking at the sky and seeing something familiar from another geography. For me, sometimes the clouds banked along the horizon feel for a moment like the mountains, and my heart lifts. I miss cold and snow, too...in judicious doses.

Jinksy said...

Without the grey, the colour would loose its punch; they need each other to obtain maximum effect. Enjoyed this post very much.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Nice compositions of different sorts here.

Anonymous said...

I love to be on one of my places in the country on cold, still days. Days complete with heavy fog or a very light mist. On such days, you can get near wildlife and birds. The jays appear bluer, the red birds even more colorful and you can get near enough to see all the colors in a drake wood duck or a falcon. Such days make one look for something that stands out; something like a large and unusual lichen with a dew drop on it, a colorful fungus, or dew on a spider web. But if one is in the city, there are also wondereful contrast of greys such as the photo above of the buildings aganist a grey sky or dark, rust colored railroad tracks running to a grey horizon.

Sydney said...

Going to be a cold week for us here -- I'm loving it but I don't know if everyone is....